View Single Post
Old October 17 2013, 04:18 PM   #180
grendelsbayne
Commander

Re: Should the Borg be the villain in Trek 3?

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Balrog wrote: View Post
A non-Borg Threatened 24th Century would be interesting.

How about a 'Q Who' type episode with Kirk and crew - They meet up with Q who propells them into the Delta Quadrant to meet the Borg a la Picard style. But instead of getting a bloody nose and running like Picard, Kirk and crew kicks their collective asses, freeing them all, much to Q's dislike.

Fanwanky, I know.
Change Q to Trelane.
Please don't. Trelane was one of the worst characters TOS ever came up with. Literally a semi-ominiscient baby, who spent the entire episode whining and complaining. It was decent enough as a comedic episode of a tv series, but it would be complete crap as a film.

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Balrog wrote: View Post
A non-Borg Threatened 24th Century would be interesting.

How about a 'Q Who' type episode with Kirk and crew - They meet up with Q who propells them into the Delta Quadrant to meet the Borg a la Picard style. But instead of getting a bloody nose and running like Picard, Kirk and crew kicks their collective asses, freeing them all, much to Q's dislike.

Fanwanky, I know.
Eh, no reason for Q, TOS had plenty of their own "Q"-like adversaries to choose from that could be used.

They could use Charlie X and have Spock and Uhura singing and playing a tune together (Since that was one of their flirtiest moments in TOS), or as SeerSGB says Trelane, or the Witches from the Halloween episode...
Assuming we're still talking about the main villain of the next movie, and not just some cameo, Charlie X is really the only really decent possibility I can think of. Trelane could never possibly carry a movie. The witches were lame as hell. Apollo and his people were entirely generic and uninteresting (and using them would probably lead to comparisons to Stargate). The Organians and the Metrons were just walking stereotypes of the 'preachy evolved aliens'. Maybe there could be a decent story in the Organian peace treaty between the Federation and the Klingons, but I don't really want yet another klingon movie.

Maybe I'm forgetting someone else here, but I think if they were going to go for one of the 'omniscient' aliens as the main threat, that Q is probably the best choice for it. He was consistently portrayed as a sort of god of mischief, which provides a very solid justification for him actually significantly interfering in the plot that many of the other candidates don't have, and his original menace was only watered down by the fact that he developed an attachment to humanity - something which wouldn't have to happen in the reboot.

I could easily see a story in the idea that the enterprise is returning from it's five year mission to a newly expanded federation which, thanks to its incredible future technology has managed to undercut all its traditional rivals. And then Q shows up and decides that the Federation is 'cheating' with all that fancy technology that their enemies don't have access to, and sets about giving it a taste of its own medicine by handing out tech upgrades to all the empires that hate the federation.