View Single Post
Old October 17 2013, 02:58 PM   #384
Johnny Rico
Rear Admiral

View Johnny Rico's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Interesting way to store the magazines. They try to limit any damage or necessitate the use of a three-ring hole punch. Unfortunately, it's easy to turn up the paper at the spine a little bit when you're trying to push the pins through. Cool concept though.
Yeah, a 3-hole punch would have been better, but it would destroy the pictures within the mag...especially the centerfold.

I'm finding that I'm not as disappointed with the refit as I thought I would be. Yes, it has those blue intakes on the nacelles and it's lacking in aztecking, but as a model itself it is really quite good.
Yeah, the model is not bad, but they sure dropped the ball on the paint job. But I chalk that up to this being one of the original 5 test run models from last year. Hopefully when they do the -A, they'll do a complete make-over. Not only is the Aztecking missing, some of the greenish grey paint panels on the secondary hull and neck missing as well. (The deflector dish cone, the dorsal section ahead of the nacelle pylons, and a vertical stripe on the neck.) I think the "blue dot" on the rear of the saucer section isn't quite right either. The recessed ring around the dot should've been blue, or even aqua, while the dot should've actually been orange.

And the Enterprise-D is absolutely fantastic in almost every way. I'm personally leaving them all in their original packaging (it sometimes sucks to be a collector) but that's okay, I can see most of the detail.
Just save the boxes...you can always put them back in whenever you want.

I am surprised by how "dark" the paint palette is in reality. The photos in all the magazines and in various locations around the web really made these things look lighter, almost white, than they really are. Not a bad thing, really, just surprising.
I know what you mean, but I think I can answer that, as evidenced by all the photos I took (link in my sig). It seems that the brightness (or darkness) of each model is determined by whether or not a Flash is used when taking the picture. When taken in natural light (without a flash) it's dark as you say, but when a Flash is used, it washes out the darkness, and it turns the grey paint to almost a pure white.

And the magazines are high-quality glossy heavy-weight paper. They really did an amazing job on this series. So glad I got in at the start of it.
Yeah, interesting take on these mags. I don't think I've ever seen this done before with toys/models. Where you get almost like a short "The Art of" book with the toy/model.
Johnny Rico is offline   Reply With Quote