View Single Post
Old October 17 2013, 11:10 AM   #384
grendelsbayne
Commander

Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

GoRe Star wrote: View Post
grendelsbayne wrote: View Post
GoRe Star wrote: View Post
Funny... at the beginning of the movie, I got the impression Kirk wouldn't have been very sad at all if they died. What could've given me that impression? Oh.

"They're dying."
"Let them die!"

Honestly I'm surprised the conspirators never tried to recruit Kirk.
If you look a few posts farther back, you'll see that line was already addressed. But to repeat myself - that line was very clearly a reference to the Empire, not the species. There isn't a single reference anywhere in the movie to suggest that the Praxis incident could in any way cause an actual extinction event. (How would that even work? An explosion on one moon killing a species spread out across how many different star systems?)

So, yes, Kirk had no problem whatsoever letting the Klingon Empire die. Why would he?
You're free to believe that, I don't. I think Kirk was talking about the race. The destruction of Praxis screwed up Qo'nos' environment and they were gonna run out of oxygen in fifty years. So... I think "let them die" was rather literal.
Klingon Empire = many star systems. Not just the Homeworld. Even if Kronos was unsalvageable, there wouldn't have to be a single unnecessary Klingon death unless the Klingons themselves couldn't be bothered to evacuate (having fifty years to do so).
grendelsbayne is offline   Reply With Quote