View Single Post
Old October 17 2013, 02:07 AM   #18
Wingsley
Commodore

Re: Are communicators and tricorders anachronistic now?

Chuck4 wrote: View Post
I think the likely course of technological development seen from today would be contrary to the ethos of Star Trek. For example, I think interstellar exploration will almost certainly be conducted almost solely by automated probes, and would be the far better done because of it. I think modern neural and computer science increasingly point to the fact that human have nothing unique that can not be surpassed by machines, so the omni-emphasis of Star Trek on "command decision" and "human intuition" is itself an anachronism.
Or, perhaps like the TNG "Interface" probe, space exploration would be done virtually with the probe being guided/interfaced by a living human who could be light-years away. This would eliminate the need for starships, starbases and a space armada. (Though it would not sidestep the notion of human colonization of distant star systems, would it?)