View Single Post
Old October 16 2013, 07:16 PM   #141
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Re: Khan the most dangerous enemy of the original crew?

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
You see, I'm actually fine with the references you mentioned right there, because they're not vital. Just little easter eggs for fun, not something the film really depended on.
The film hardly "depended" on the crew knowing about OldSpock. It's obvious they were made aware of it at some point, but we never do see when or why. They chose to address it in the tie-in material, but had they elected NOT to do so, it would have been as much of a "plot hole" as Admiral Kirk suddenly having an adult son named David Marcus that we never saw or heard of before.
I brought it up because I thought it was a peculiar thing that nobody seemed to be weirded out on the bridge, especially Bones.
Right. Sort of like how nobody seemed weirded out by the fact that Kirk had an adult son named David. They knew about it already, or at least knew enough about Kirk to know that he had a son even if they didn't know anything about him.

Same thing in STID: they knew about OldSpock's time adventures. Which is why Uhura doesn't question him when he asks her to route a call to New Vulcan.

For me, the only canon that truly matters is the films.
That basically ceased to be the case four years ago.
That's too bad then, since I have zero interest in getting into the comic books and video games, especially since I've heard awful things about the latter. As long as the Trek films don't depend too much on tie-ins, I'm totally fine with the idea of canon expanded.
The game was actually pretty good, it's the comics that have started to get lazy.

Either way, the tie-in marketting isn't that crucial to the film in the first place; again, Carol and David made their debut in Wrath of Khan and their existence wasn't even HINTED at in the prior Trek novels (or the Animated Series, which for years was also considered a non-canon tie in production).