View Single Post
Old October 16 2013, 06:53 AM   #45
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Peter David comic book story

Christopher wrote: View Post
Well, you said you weren't sure if she had training as an editor. On-the-job experience should certainly count.
Of course. (I mentioned my own on-the-job experience as a first-time editor.)

But the OP was doubting that Richard Arnold should have been allowed on-the-job experience. RA ran a fan club for Grace Lee Whitney in the late 70s/early 80s, AFAIK.

JD wrote: View Post
But wouldn't most of them have been in a lower position, with someone with more training above them? (This is not sarcastic or rhetorical, I am honestly curious)
When you go for a job, you sometimes simply have to perform better than other applicants at interview. Or sometimes be the only person in the right place at the right time.

I had assumed to be an editor you needed some kind of a communications, or writing degree or something along those lines.
So did I, but perhaps no one else applied? I wasn't ever allowed to know if I was the only interviewee, or if I beat others better qualified.

I just thought it was weird that he was given so much power over the franchise, when based on what I've read his only real qualification was that he was a fan who knew Roddenberry.
I'm sure when GR handed RA that first manuscript and said, "Susan's too busy to read this stuff. Would you have a look at this and see if the author is on the right track?" that no one imagined that writing drafts of official memos to licensees would be perceived as "power over the franchise".

It just seems to me that if you're going to be criticizing books, comics, and things like that professionally then you should have some experience or in depth knowldge of writing or publishing.
I presume RA was asked to examine the things for accuracy to the canonical Trek universe, choice of logo and whether images of the Enterprise were right side up or not, not to comment upon grammar, size of font or length of chapters. Certainly, at conventions RA has spoken at, he has given many examples of the types of bizarre little errors that he caught between 1986 and 1991, that no one else (ie. professional writers, marketing people, artists, editors, proofreaders, designers, etc) had noticed. I know there were a few times where he recommended that certain stories might work better with cover art that ascertained the TOS era being featured.

Not too different to being a "beta reader" for a media tie-in. Enthusiastic, knowledgeable fans are often given that gig. (I've been asked three times now.) No training necessary, just knowledge of aspects of "Star Trek".

Last edited by Therin of Andor; October 16 2013 at 07:15 AM. Reason: more
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote