Thread: T.W.O.K vs STID
View Single Post
Old October 15 2013, 07:25 PM   #38
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: T.W.O.K vs STID

BigJake wrote: View Post
TWOK had its imperfections, mostly small (why is searching for a "lifeless planet" so hard? why does Reliant not have star charts of the Ceti Alpha system that would have told them something had happened? why do they not remember it's where Khan was stranded? etc.) -- but was mostly excellent despite them, with good character arcs, memorable performances, convincingly-sold action that doesn't try to pummel the audience into numbness, and a truly moving death scene for Spock. A moment whose power was mostly leached by the studio's subsequent greed, true, but still in itself a genuinely moving moment even if you hadn't watched the old series. It is really the only Trek film of either the original or TNG franchises that has won, and deserves, real recognition outside of the Trek fanbase.
I love The Wrath of Khan but it has many flaws including "why didn't Kirk raise his shields per regulations?", "why didn't Khan beam Kirk up and snap his neck when he snagged the Genesis device?" and "why didn't one of the engineers who already had access to radiation gear go in and fix main power?" And I could care less about the flaws because when I watch it, I have a good time.

I think that if Star Trek Into Darkness pummeled you into numbness you were watching it wrong or may need to see a doctor because you may have had a stroke. At 42, I had no issues keeping up with the movie and found it a fun thrill ride.