View Single Post
Old October 15 2013, 01:36 AM   #242
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: 50th Is "The Day Of The Doctor" (And Is 75 Minutes)

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
John Hurt is a good actor, but I'd much rather have Paul McGann, Sylvester McCoy, or even Peter Davison if it came to it.
I'm not fixated on the actors -- except to the extent that I keep going, "John Hurt is the Doctor!" -- because what really matters to me is the story.

If it's a shitty story, McGann and McCoy aren't going to elevate it any more than Hurt will. "The Next Doctor" had a fantastic cast, but the story was terrible, and if a better cast were possible that wouldn't have made "The Next Doctor" any better.

I'm really starting to think that, even if "The Day of the Doctor" is the greatest Doctor Who story ever, it won't be appreciated by fandom for years to come. The gap between expectations (like Green Lantern's desire for what amounts to a filmed convention panel) and the reality are so far apart that it will take reappreciations of the story, removed in time from broadcast, for "The Day of the Doctor" to be truly understood and embraced. I'm not sure what that says about Moffat, Doctor Who, and fandom itself. Nothing good, probably.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote