View Single Post
Old October 14 2013, 05:25 PM   #136
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Re: Khan the most dangerous enemy of the original crew?

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
You see, I'm actually fine with the references you mentioned right there, because they're not vital. Just little easter eggs for fun, not something the film really depended on.
The film hardly "depended" on the crew knowing about OldSpock. It's obvious they were made aware of it at some point, but we never do see when or why. They chose to address it in the tie-in material, but had they elected NOT to do so, it would have been as much of a "plot hole" as Admiral Kirk suddenly having an adult son named David Marcus that we never saw or heard of before.

It also gives the Enterprise a sense of history to those who never actually read those comics. I actually thought the Mudd incident was referring to Harry Mudd, as in they have already encountered him by this point. I still consider the thing with the crew being totally casual to the conversation minor, but I detest the idea that you have to read a comic book tie on or a video game tie in just to understand why there are holes the film left open.
I'm beginning to wonder if you even know what a "plot hole" is.

However, it is very different from references in IRON MAN 3, because at least those are expected to be picked up because it's safe to assume a major chunk of your audience has seen THE AVENGERS, which was a major film, not a comic book or video game.
Not really. The plot twist of having the Mandarin turn out to be a drunken British actor working for someone a lot worse goes right over the heads of anyone who never read the Iron Man comics and doesn't know who the original Mandarin actually was. Actually, the post-credits scene in "The Avengers" has this feature too since I haven't met anyone under the age of about 37 who knows who Thanos is.

For me, the only canon that truly matters is the films.
That basically ceased to be the case four years ago.