View Single Post
Old October 14 2013, 01:51 AM   #16
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Re: Random Thoughts

GoRe Star wrote: View Post
KaraBear wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
That episode just always boggled me in the mere concept that a state could be so authoritarian to regulate what you can and can't think. To me that would be the ultimate tyranny to violate the sanctum of your private thoughts as a matter of routine.
yes, but in their society when one person's thoughts can so strongly influence someone else's action there has to be a regulation.
See, I don't buy that. If there's so undisciplined that someone else's stray thought of violence makes them do it, then make your laws require mental discipline training like say Vulcan meditation. Blaming the someone for their stray thought influencing someone else's crime is like the rapist saying that woman's loose outfit provoked him. In the end, people should be accountable for their actions no matter what is "influencing" them.

Don't get me wrong, as the society is the crew screwed up like dub suggested. They should've gotten that little detail before they sent the violent Klingon down there and just let Tuvok and Vorik handle their negotiations.
So you're suggesting that before anyone beams down, Janeway would ask, "Oh, by the way, are there any of your laws we should be especially careful of?"

And the aliens, thinking over their laws, say, "No, nothing in particular."

Whereupon Janeway says, "Great, see you soon then!"

And nobody stops to consider that people who live with certain laws and social norms rarely stop to consider that everyone else may not live with those laws and norms... because it's just the normal thing to do/believe, right? It didn't occur to them to mention it, because they couldn't imagine anyone not intuitively understanding that it was the Right Way To Do Things.

Rather like that TNG episode where Wesley accidentally smashed into the flower bed and was going to be executed - a law that the aliens hadn't bothered to mention... because didn't everyone know this?

bud wrote: View Post
SignGuyHPW wrote: View Post
I think they had established that Vulcans were telepathic to a degree meaning that they held this ability.
When was this established? I either missed it or forgot about it because I was definitely scratching my head at these scenes.
In addition to feeling the deaths of the Vulcans aboard the Intrepid, Spock was able to telepathically influence the woman in The Omega Glory without being in physical contact.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote