View Single Post
Old October 13 2013, 09:48 PM   #138
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Re: Should the Borg be the villain in Trek 3?

You all DO realize that by voting "no" you have effectively guaranteed that the Borg will appear in ST3... right?

Okay, I jest. But only kind of: the writers have demonstrated a propensity to figure out exactly what the most hardcore fans of Star Trek claim to want and then do the EXACT OPPOSITE in awesome style. It's almost as if they're intentionally giving us the finger; it's almost as if we deserve it.

Moreover, JJ Abrams has approached the franchise largely from an outsider's point of view, similar to the way Joss Whedon handled "The Avengers" (Sam Raimi did the same thing for Spiderman, though it didn't work out as well in the third one). He's pretty much distilled the entire franchise into a handful of Awesome Moments, modernized/reinterpreted/reinvented those Awesome Moments, and then built movies around them.

If/when they decide to do a Borg movie, it won't be just the Borg. They'll try to stick at least two other major villains into it, because, fuck it, it's the third movie, so obviously we need three villains. If I had to guess, I'd say it'll be the Klingons launching a suicidal invasion of the Federation and the Enterprise helping Starfleet crush them, only to discover that the Klingons are actually fleeing from a Borg invasion or something like that.

Last edited by Crazy Eddie; October 13 2013 at 10:01 PM.
Crazy Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote