View Single Post
Old October 12 2013, 12:58 PM   #23
Commishsleer
Fleet Captain

View Commishsleer's Twitter Profile
Re: Amok Time repercussions?

The Dead Mixer wrote: View Post
OK, part of my response was that I misunderstood what you were saying in this post:

The Umbrella Corporation wrote: View Post
Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Presumably a Starship Captain, a representative of the Federation should know this.
While browsing through the thread, I had taken the ambiguous "this" to mean that Kirk should have known about Vulcan mating customs/rituals...which he couldn't possibly have known if Vulcans were going out of their way to keep them secret, which is what this episode establishes. (I don't give a rat's ass what ENT retcons into the mix 40 years later, and everything else happens later...Vulcan attitudes about this apparently changed very quickly, given Spock's own openness on the subject in "The Cloud Minders".)

Upon rereading, I realize that "this" was referring to "ignorance of the law is no excuse." However, you then argued....

But if I was T'Pau I might think that Vulcan was special enough to warrant understanding of its customs.
How could she expect an outworlder to understand customs that she strongly felt weren't for outwordlers? Presumably she was chief amongst those who believed that this part of Vulcan society should be a closely-guarded secret.

On the topic in general, I think T'Pau's reaction to McCoy's trick might have gone something like this:

"De neural paralyzer is de neural paralyzer...vhat can be done?"
T'Pau was being quite unreasonable from a human perspective. She should have considered that Kirk might not have understood thedparticularly dangerous aspects of the marriage ceremony? Especially after Spock practically begged her to forbid it.

But should she have got rid of the humans as soon as she saw them? Should she have excluded them from the ceremony because they weren't capable of understanding it?

You're quite right about her probably being one of the elders that insist on Vulcans keeping this part of there biology secret. Maybe she realised after this Vulcans were going to die or attack innocent nurses if they kept up the secrecy that by the time "Cloud Minders" came along Spock too was happy to talk about it with relative strangers.

Also T'Pring being the 'property' of the victor seems dreadful.

However if T'Pring objects to marrying Spock during pon farr that virtually means that Spock is sentenced to death so she's got to have a big disincentive to do it.

So they have a gutsy elder like T'Pau controlling proceedings. Spocks life is on the line, T'Pring's freedom. Humans insisting on being there then mucking about isn't to be tolerated. Her priority is Spock and T'Pring not some inconsequential human.

One of the great things about this episode was that it shows that Spock is an alien from a planet with weird/different/sexist culture and customs. He's not just a pointy-eared human.

On the topic in general, I think T'Pau's reaction to McCoy's trick might have gone something like this:

"De neural paralyzer is de neural paralyzer...vhat can be done?"
Commishsleer is offline   Reply With Quote