View Single Post
Old October 11 2013, 11:45 PM   #670
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

sojourner wrote: View Post
I'd just like to know what kind of response Kirk55555 would get from his parents if he asked them if he should get a job to help out.
Federal Minimum Wage is $7.25 an hour, Washington's Minimum Wage is $9.19 an hour we'll use that number.

Because of the corporate mandate -though delayed a year- anecdotally (though with some personal experience I've seen this actually happen) part-time workers in some companies are being restricted to 29 hours a week so they don't have to be provided with insurance. 29 hours a week times $9.19 an hour is $266.51 before taxes. After taxes it'll probably be around $199. (I went with 25% of the check going to various federal, state and any local taxes. It's about what my checks come out to before the deductions for my 401(k) and insurance)

$200 a week isn't much, sure, but for a family that seems to be living tight it can be quite a bit. It can turn a living day-to-day just to be here to something a bit more enjoyable. Buying the types of foods not covered by food stamp programs, maybe a nice trip to a restaurant or a movie? Hell, upgrade from basic cable to one of the entry-level packages and get a DVR and OnDemand stations. I don't know what individual health insurance costs, $50 a month? $100? Hell making $1000/mo might still qualify you for Medicaid.

And I'm sure the parents would appreciate the help from their adult-son who's living with them.