View Single Post
Old October 11 2013, 08:08 PM   #640
kirk55555
Commodore

Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
TheRedPill wrote: View Post
Tax forms for young single people constitute a whole page.
Taxes are easy as shit if you're a single person with just one job. It takes me about 20 minutes to do them every year.

AND THEN I GET MONEY BACK! I love tax season!

Seriously, kirk5555, you know that at some point in the future you are going to have to get a job. In order to do that successfully, you will need to provide work history. The older you get without ever having a job, the more difficult it will be to get one down the road. A 40-year old man who turns in an application with no work history is going to get thrown in the trash.

You live at home, and it seems that your parents are okay with that. Why not at least poke around with some part-time work? Even if you don't need it to pay bills right now, you could start saving money for later. Even if you don't have the most glamorous job in the world, it doesn't have to be a horrible burden. My first job was bagging groceries about 15 hours a week for minimum wage. The job itself wasn't fun, but I made some friends and managed to work my way up in the company. After 9 months, I was promoted to another department in the store, where I made even more friends and started earning more money. I ended up being there for 6 years.

I've had 5 or 6 jobs in my life, and I actually enjoyed most of them. I have made more friends at my current job than I ever imagined was possible. Sometimes the financial situation is a strain, but I have benefited in so many other ways that it's totally worth it. I couldn't imagine my life without a job (I mean, really, what do you do all day?).

Just because you are unskilled and uneducated on paper doesn't mean you can't learn skills at the job. We all have to start somewhere, and for most of us, that means the bottom. But the awesome thing about starting at the bottom is that there's nowhere to go but up! You might surprise yourself.
I already know that the bottom is where I'll stay whenever I end up getting a job. Whatever I do, its going to be the lowest job avaliable. I have no particular skills. I'll get a job kicking and screaming against the inevitability of it, and then if I'm lucky keep the same (or similar) entry level type jobs until I'm too old to work. The only solace is that being at the bottom, it probably won't get any worse.

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Manticore wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post

I understand that uninsured people cost hospitals money, and I've heard that the cost eventually makes it so that people with insurance pay more. Like I said before, someone is going to get screwed. I'd prefer it to be people who aren't me or my family.
You do realize that bankruptcy screws you over too, right?

Bankruptcy only screws people over that have ambitions of ever accomplishing anything.

Whose bankruptcy are you even talking about?

Anyway, you're right about one thing. I have absolutely no ambitions of ever accomplishing anything outside of surviving. Jobs aren't for accomplishing anything, atleast not the jobs I could get. They're to make sure you don't starve to death. Since thats not an issue right now, I'm not looking to ruin my life with a job yet. There is nothing I want to accomplish, even if working did accomplish anything but survival.