View Single Post
Old October 11 2013, 01:44 PM   #88
Use of Time
Commodore

Re: Starfleeters?

Sigokat wrote: View Post
Use of Time wrote: View Post
starburst wrote: View Post
Starfleet Officer, Starfleet is made up of Commissioned and Non-Commissioned Officers. In some of the shows, mainly Voyager and Enterprise, they labelled the generic characters as Crewmen (even when some of them have rank)

Its the military today who get hung up between Officer and NCO(fficer) ranks and who gets called an Officer.
All enlisted personnel are not called NCO's. An NCO is an enlisted person that achives the E-4 grade in the Navy and E-5 grade in the Army. Enlisted personnel below that are not NCO's. That is probably why "crewman" in Starfleet is most likely similar to "seamen" in the Navy or "Private" in the Army.

That is why I disagree with the term "officers" as a catch all. That and most enlisted personnel hate to be mistaken for officers.
All true, but in the Army an E-4 can be an NCO if he/she is a Corporal. Yes it is a lateral promotion and the pay grade is the same, but he/she does wear stripes and is referred to as an NCO.
Yep, forgot about the CPL. I rarely encountered them during my tenure but yes they are very much NCO's.