View Single Post
Old October 11 2013, 05:56 AM   #528
Agent Richard07
Retired

Re: Movies Seen In 2013

163. The Heat (✩✩✩) - Download - I wanted to see another movie with Sandra Bullock after Gravity. This one is a buddy cop movie and although Bullock provides the star power and a decent comedic performance as a straight-laced FBI agent, Melissa McCarthy is the one who delivers the goods as a mean foul-mouthed cop.

164. Before Midnight (✩✩✩✩) - Download - I've been waiting for this for a long time, ever since I saw the first two. How could there not be a third? Can't believe it's been 18 years since the first one. This one started off a little shaky and it looked like it was breaking away too much from the format of having two people strolling along and having a conversation but it eventually got to that and it really delivered. Some good conversation about life and whatnot. It's surprising how engaging their conversations are. And I'm especially impressed with how Delpy and Hawke are able to do those really long continuous scenes. It was nice to see the characters at a different place in life after all this time and I hope they can crank out a few more of these over the next few years or decades. At 9-year interavls, the next one should be out in 2022.

165. Black Snake Moan (✩✩✩) - Download - Kind of a bizarre movie about a sex-crazed girl in her underwear who's held captive with a chain by an old man who wants to change her ways. Stars Christina Ricci and Samuel L. Jackson. I say it's bizarre because the acting is a little over the top. It satirizes and exagerates the South. The two stars make the movie, not so much fun, but interesting enough.

166. Captain Phillips (✩✩✩✩✩) - Theatre - Excellent movie. It brought drama and tension to the issue of piracy off the coast of Africa, something that many might not take seriously given that we've got a small boat of impoverished fishermen up against a cargo ship. Also, I concur with what CaptainCanada said earlier. Barkhad Abdi really held his own and delivered a phenomenal performance. I'd be surprised if he didn't get an Oscar nomination. I could have sworn that I've seen him before but given that this is his first acting credit, I guess not. Read this article on Barkhad Abdi. Apparently he was a cab driver in Minnesota when he decided to try out at an open casting call. In closing, there is one thing I found odd, something that almost took me out of the movie. It was the lack of weapons on the ship but apparently this does happen. Providing security is an added cost and letting the crew carry fire arms is problematic due to safety and liability issues. Maybe the movie could have addressed that a little more so that it didn't feel like a contrived situation to those who don't know much about the policy. Still, not a big enough nit-pick to dock points.

Theatre: 25
Blu-ray: 10
DVD: 21
Netflix: 5
Live TV: 19
Download: 81
YouTube: 3
Screening: 1
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote