View Single Post
Old October 10 2013, 08:08 PM   #29
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Homosexuals and Deltans

Solbor's Blood wrote: View Post
GoRe Star wrote: View Post
Interesting read. Not conclusive evidence it seems, but interesting nonetheless. Certainly back in the 60's/70's Gene didn't know this much and even if he had, Trek's always taken a "magic" approach to science so it might not have changed anyways.
If such a device is used in future episodes or films, I believe that the writers would be justly taken to task if they failed to explain how "super-pheromones" work with sexual orientation, but also between species. There's no reason to believe that someone would become sexually intoxicated by another species pheromones.

GoRe Star wrote: View Post
I still have to go with in the end that sexuality is a choice. Either we're sentient beings or we're not and while we may have certain instincts, the conscious mind prevails over that.

Heck, the article itself seems to suggest that given it said the part of the nose that's receptive to pheromones is dormant and I wonder if that's an evolutionary side effect as the species got more intelligent.
Which is why I tend to separate sexual orientation and sexual identity. As much as there may a natural attraction to one gender or another (or lack thereof), many individuals will still find pleasure with someone opposite of that orientation. There is much room for sexual creativity above and beyond orientation, and I think that in-universe it would be the best explanation for why Riker felt so strongly about Soren.
Well all the races in Trek seem to be able to interbreed. Human/Vulcans, Trill/Klingons, Human/Trill, Bajoran/Cardassian, Human/Klingon, Human/Romulan and so forth. So by the logic presented -in the Trek universe- I guess I could see pheromones working cross-racially since they're all apparently genetically compatible.

It's an interesting point you make about sexual identity vs orientation. I'm not sure I distinguish completely between the two, at the very least they seem to overlap to me. Though you make a good point about the pleasure part of it being possible with someone that doesn't conform to either. Riker definitely is a good point, though Soren(before they "corrected" her) just gave the vibe that she saw a penis for the first time and was into that. If that episode was supposed to be about the rights of homosexuals they kinda misaligned the message.

But really if we ever do get into space and are interacting with completely alien species, that is gonna screw with people's sexual identifications(pardon the pun). "Not all species keep their genitals in the same place, Captain." Kim hinted at this too with his girlfriend from the Disease just describing it as "different." I got the hint that the parts didn't exactly line up traditionally there.