View Single Post
Old October 10 2013, 02:12 PM   #23
TJ Sinclair
Captain

Re: Novels set in the Trek universe... but not about Star Trek?

trash80 wrote: View Post
Not really, they are all part of "Star Trek", as are your own excellent DTI books. I'm asking about books not about Star Trek but use the universe as a backdrop. For example a detective story on Alpha Centauri, a hospital drama on Federation Earth, a romance on Kronos
That's still Star Trek, dude. It's just not Starfleet.

And no, you'll never find a Trek novel that doesn't feature a single canon character. Even Vanguard has M'Benga.

The closest thing to what you're describing is The Case of the Colonist's Corpse which is a Perry Mason-esque murder mystery pastiche starring Samuel T. Cogley.

But if you want a book that doesn't focus on Starfleet, there's Rising Sun which is told from Jake Sisko's perspective but is mainly about a motley freighter crew in the Gamma Quadrant. There's also KRAD's IKS Gorkon/Klingon Empire series.

If you want books that don't focus on regular characters from the TV series and movies, try the novel-only series like Vanguard. I'd say New Frontier, but that, by design, has a number of TNG guest stars become regulars in that series, Shelby, Lefler, Selar, and so forth.

But you're not really going to find a novel that doesn't feature Starfleet in some way and also doesn't feature canon characters. That's just the nature of a media tie-in.

If you want to read stuff set in the Trek universe that doesn't feature canon characters at all, there are people who can point you to some fairly well-written fan fiction (just not in this particular sub-forum), or towards some sims/rpgs that are essentially collaborative writing groups. I've been in several over the years that were set on civilian vessels or colonies and had little to no interaction with Starfleet.