View Single Post
Old October 10 2013, 05:46 AM   #760
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
I'm not saying that you have to wait for anything to improve. I'm not trying to manage your viewing habits in the slightest. I'm just saying that in my own experience, I prefer to give a show a chance to grow a little before writing it off.
I'm not suggesting that you are managing my viewing habits, but you did ask "what do you people want?" And I answered: I want to be engaged, I want to be entertained... and I'm not. Simple as that. I've given it three hours, and the general response is, "you have to give it time..." No. I don't Other shows don't require time to become engaging. The writers are paid a lot of money to do a job, and that's to engage me. I don't think they are doing a very good job.

I could've given up on TNG after three episodes. Encounter at Farpoint, The Naked Now and Code of Honor? Yuck! Hell, TNG didn't begin to get anywhere near good until 3/4 of the way through season 1. Glad I stuck with it.
Given the context of the time and my age, I was very much engaged with the show right at the beginning.

The funny thing now: I can't really watch TNG. I see an episode on BBC America... I watch for about five minutes and then I wish Top Gear was on. And I'm not a car guy. It's that Top Gear engages me who I am today.

Sometimes I'll stick with a show that never quite gets it together (The Cape, No Ordinary Family), but I never regret giving the show a chance.
I feel like you are suggesting that I'm not giving SHIELD a chance. Are you saying that? If so why?

Because I feel I have given it a chance. Three chances to engage me.

And I can think of a show that I didn't like, didn't engage me and I gave up on early that I later regretted doing so-- Star Wars: The Clone Wars. The movie that started it off was horrible and gave no reason to keep following.
Never saw the movie. Heard the reviews were terrible. I just started with the show.

Except the show ran five seasons and it is generally well liked. Should I not have given up despite the fact the movie/pilot did nothing for me? Or should I have given a chance to improve? I wish that I had given Clone Wars that chance.
Like I said, I never watched the movie, so I can't say. But the movie is 90 minutes. That's less than I gave SHIELD. It's also one story. I gave SHIELD three stories.

I guess I'm having trouble following you because you are suggesting that I have given up "too soon" which implies there IS a point that it's ok to give up.

Look at it like a date. I go on a date with a woman, it's ok, but, there's nothing really there. It was ok. Maybe it was the night, maybe it was me. I go on a second one. Same thing. It wasn't great, not awful, but, I wasn't really engaged.

How long should I keep going out with her to realize, "hey, maybe there's a better way to spend my time?"