View Single Post
Old October 10 2013, 02:57 AM   #374
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
Re: Classic Who on BBC America

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Series Five had a lot of bad episodes, but I thought the Angel two parter was perfectly done. I wish that Moffat's run had lived up to those first five episodes. Vampires of Venice, Amy's Choice, and the Silurian 2 parter were a real low point in the modern series. And I know I'm in the minority on this one but I find Vincent and the Doctor to be just alright.
I disagree. If anything, I think Season 5 got much better as it went along. It starts out great with "The Eleventh Hour." But then you've got some half-baked ideas that never quite gel in "The Beast Below." Then you've got the shitty Dalek redesign in "Victory of the Daleks." Then you've got Smith & Gillan not quite totally in character yet in "The Time of Angels"/"Flesh & Stone."

IMO, things got a lot better after that. "Amy's Choice" & "The Lodger" are both on my top 5 list of the best episodes of the new series. "The Vampires of Venice" is a solid if unremarkable story that immediately does a fantastic job of integrating Rory into the ensemble. "Vincent & the Doctor" is heartbreakingly poignant.

The Silurian 2-parter is a bit of a misstep. I suspect it would work better as a 1-parter. Then they would have less time to dwell on the humans contemplating whether or not they should torture their Silurian prisoner.

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
My main criticism with "The Time of Angels" two-parter is that Matt Smith's characterization isn't there yet. Of course it's not -- it's the first episode of his run that was produced, and it was written as a tenth Doctor story, so the eleventh Doctor is prone to the tenth Doctor's verbal tics.
Agreed. Wholeheartedly. In particular, I think Smith has some shouty moments towards the end of part 2 that are very Tennant-esque.

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the heck out of "The Time of Angels" (though I really wish the second part didn't drop major plotlines from the first part, like why the Clerics wanted the Angel in the first place)
They forgot because their reason fell into the crack.

DWF wrote: View Post
The Time Of Angels was a bad turning point actually, Moffat changed the rules regarding the Angels and it really started up the mystery surrounding River.
I wouldn't say that the story "really started up the mystery surrounding River." They make 1 or 2 brief mentions of the fact that the Doctor doesn't really know who River is yet. But that's about it. Out of all of River's appearances, I'd say it's the one where River's presence is the most incidental and the one that spends the least time focusing on or speculating about River's backstory.