View Single Post
Old October 9 2013, 05:50 AM   #151
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Re: NuTrek references in the novels

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post
I would not expect to see an uptight jackass like Quinto portrayed in the 2009 movie. I would not expect to see Spock and Uhura smooching and getting emotional all over each other, since TOS Spock and Uhura have a more dignified kind of friendship and professional relationship.
Mmmmm. How did you ever handle the "Mirror, Mirror" episode of TOS, and its sequels in DS9 and prequel in ENT? And the novels "TNG: Dark Mirror" and "Dark Passions". And the alternate universes of TNG's "Parallels"?
Spock and Uhura were not engaging in PDA in "Mirror, Mirror." Uhura did flirt with Mirror-Sulu for a few seconds, but only to make sure he wouldn't notice what Scotty was up to. I have vague recollections that Deanna was evil in the TNG novels, and thought it was an interesting alternative take on Betazoid abilities. But those stories never claimed to be any sort of "TNG reboot". "Parallels"... where Worf kept changing universes? I don't like Worf in any universe. I'm not overly fond of Deanna either. And I remember reading about the Mirror version of ENT, but never saw any episodes on TV. There are at least 2 seasons' worth of that show I never watched.

KRAD wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post
I would not expect to see Spock and Uhura smooching and getting emotional all over each other, since TOS Spock and Uhura have a more dignified kind of friendship and professional relationship.
You need to watch "Charlie X" again. Specifically the mess-hall scene where Uhura sings. Orci and Kurtzman did a great deal of rectal yanking, but the Spock-Uhura relationship is not one of the things they pulled out of their asses.
I've seen Charlie X quite enough times, thank you. There are a couple of really horrible scenes in that episode that have put it firmly on my "Never Watching This Ever Again Because It's Enough To Give Me Nightmares" list. Uhura was flirting with Spock, and he was in the mood to play along (both literally and in the sense of camaraderie - or maybe it was just that Leonard Nimoy had trouble keeping a straight face during the song?). I maintain that they had a properly respectful professional relationship, and a respectful friendship (since they share an interest in music, that makes sense). At no time would I expect to see Original Spock and Original Uhura kissing anywhere, never mind in public, or while on duty.

I really wish you would all stop assuming that because I don't like nuTrek, that means I also must not like other deviations from the run of the mill Trek. None of those others ever claimed that THEY were now the "official" Star Trek.

What's next - you're going to say that because I hate Brussels sprouts, I must hate every other green vegetable?

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote