View Single Post
Old October 8 2013, 05:40 PM   #68
Use of Time
Commodore

Re: Starfleeters?

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Use of Time wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Both. I think Starfleet that Starfleet borrows things from multiple earlier organizations, but is ultimately its own thing and really isn't a stickler with how the term "officer" is used in casual conversation.
So they have a rank structure identical to the U.S. Navy but they decided to throw in some police terminology for the hell of it?
Um, no. The police analogy extends only to "officer" being a catch-all term for its personnel.

What Starfleet did was loosely model itself after Earth's oceangoing navies and some other organizations, but not everything is the same. Being an organization from another time and place, you'd actually expect some differences here and there, really (even if it's only in the way they commonly address their personnel).
I'm sorry but you acknowledge that Starfleet is based loosely on the Navy and "some other organizations" but you are adamant that they would change the way they address personnel because?

I figure the term outsiders use to indentify personnel in Starfleet is...Starfleet. For example, crew walks into a bar..."here comes Starfleet." Calling everyone an "officer" even when they are not can be seen as disrespectful to those that take pride in being a non-com or a lowly crewman. Maybe my own history in the military is steering me towards this line of thinking but I have seen some NCO's that are pretty quick to correct you if you label them as an officer in any way.