View Single Post
Old October 8 2013, 05:33 PM   #31
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek: To Boldly Go

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
But that also included a ship named Enterprise. That was part of the concept and brand too, and it still is.
I would suppose that the fact they got away with changing the characters indicates pretty strongly that they could just as easily have changed the name of the ship.

The Enterprise name was still on it because the show was essentially a later morph of the Star Trek: Phase II concept, but if they'd gone ahead and named her the good ship Discovery or Endeavour or something at that time I don't think the general viewing public would have cared. I think it's the heroics and the concept the general audience cares about, not the name of the ship. That's why name recognition didn't rescue Enterprise; it didn't have compelling protagonists or stories, that it had the "familiar" name made no difference.

I don't suppose we'll wind up agreeing and it may not really be that important in the bigger scheme of David's idea. Still, interesting question to chew over.