Old October 8 2013, 03:42 PM   #11
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: Just Completed NuBattelstar Re-Watch

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
The Stig wrote: View Post
LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
Riiiight... umm... so... Joss Whedon likes NuBSG... and...
Well, it's more about what's said than who said it. He really articulates how good BSG is.

Also, he does know a thing or two about great character-based storytelling.
[LOL] Oh boy, I'm really not going to being making any new friends in this thread! But that video and JW's comments are still a whopping great "SO" for me? Honestly, I'm not trying to be deliberately contrary here, but Whedon is one of the most overrated writers/directors working in SF for me.

sidious618 wrote: View Post
As for the likeability of the characters, I don't know what to tell you. I've never understood why people have to like the characters to enjoy a show. It's about whether they're engaging, not whether or not you'd want to hang out with them.
To clarify my position, I did not state "you have to like characters to enjoy a show", merely that the NuBSG characters were particularly dislikeable, psychopathic and often heinous.

I regularly found their behaviours and actions to be totally implausible, with completely unrealistic motivations. The ridiculous and continuous "flip-flopping" between extremes was particularly grating for me.

All this served to "disengage" me from the both the characters and the show.
If it makes you feel better, you just made a friend. My opinion on this more or less matches yours.