View Single Post
Old October 8 2013, 03:38 PM   #60
Use of Time
Commodore

Re: Starfleeters?

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Use of Time wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
There are actually quite a few different meanings of the term, including the description of commissioned and noncommissioned personnel.
Not really, you are only a non commissioned officer when you reach E-4 in the enlisted ranks. Whatever basic training Starfleet has would most likely produce what starfleet would call crewman. (E1 through E3) Navy calls them Seamen.
Which doesn't change at all what I said above. The term "officer" is not exclusive to commissioned personnel nor even to military personnel.
Fine, but Occam's Razor has to come into play at some point here. Starfleet is obviously modeled after the Navy. The term officer in Starfleet obviously refers to commissioned officers. Like I said, just ask Sergey Rozhenko.

I have no interest in arguing over such a trivial thing but it comes down to the writer's muddling their way through enlisted terminology on the show. Their job is to write compelling stories for television so I'm not going to hold that against them but that is where the rank confusion stems from.