View Single Post
Old October 8 2013, 03:28 PM   #26
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek: To Boldly Go

Oh, I'd completely agree that Enterprise is the best-known ship, but isn't it sort of begging the question to say that it's therefore necessary for Jane Q. Publica? Those aren't the same thing. Similarly, Juan Que Publico most certainly knows the names Picard and especially Kirk, but that's a vastly different proposition from actually needing them to be in a show in order to watch it.

It would be like me telling you in the mid-Eighties that Trek shows have always had a Vulcan and therefore we must have either Spock or a relative of Spock on any Trek show, because the "general public" expects the whole "live long and prosper" thing and everybody knows that hand salute Nimoy does. The latter statements would be true, but that the general public [Julius Quo Publicus?] knows a thing doesn't mean they necessarily care all that much. (Same with needing the name "Kirk" on everything. TNG in televised form was pretty much the decisive disproof of that.)

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I'm fanatically against using the name or anything. I'd watch the shizznit out of a 31st-century show about the galactic zombie apocalypse starring the Enterprise-Z and Bruce Campbell in the role of Commodore Jamison Thelonius Kirk the Twelfth. I am not even kidding you. It's just that once one is far enough into the alphabet it's worth wondering if it starts to seem too much like one is perhaps overrelying on a trope.