View Single Post
Old October 8 2013, 12:47 PM   #25
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek: To Boldly Go

BigJake wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
It's a solid fact in 2013.
I wouldn't say so. The name has a mixture of good and bad baggage at this point thanks to the intervening adventures and misadventures of the brand, I'd say it's at best a toss-up.
I wouldn't say that all. Outside of a few fans who may be tired of the name, the Enterprise name is still extremely strong with the general public, perhaps as strong as it ever has been.
It's hard to quantify though because nobody that I can find conducts surveys of the general public about this kind of thing. You may well be right; all I can say is that I've never met a non-fan who really cared about what particular ship was featured in a Trek show, that just seems to me to be a fandom thing.
Nah, it's well beyond fandom. You've got people who really aren't Star Trek fans, but even they know the Enterprise is that "Star Track" ship. It's a world-wide thing. I think the only people who don't associate the Enterprise with Star Trek are those who really haven't heard of Star Trek or heard anyone talk about it at all.

To come back to the trademarking thing, BTW:

It will, though, stop some other entertainment studio, network, or company from creating a sci-fi series with their own starship/spaceship called the Enterprise (and more importantly, from making any merchandising money off it).
I wonder how they would be able to refute someone who simply said their Enterprise was based on historical vehicles of the same name, as Trek's originally was.

It sounds like what they're essentially trying to control is the right to derive fictional properties by historical analogy; about all they should be able to claim rights to should be the Enterprise as it actually appears in their shows (the ship design, fictional registry, political affiliation and fictional history).
The whole point of trademarking something is to prevent someone else from making money off something you're using (regardless of its origin) without permission or a fee. It really has little to do with controlling the right to derive fictional properties and more about dollars. But I think it only extends to the use of "U.S.S. Enterprise" and "Starship Enterprise" for licensing purposes (the same I think as been done for the Voyager).