View Single Post
Old October 7 2013, 04:29 PM   #5
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Re: On making references: For or Against

As long as it's done well, I'd love it. Good examples IMO are the last two movies, where a great many scenes, sights and comments had a deeper meaning for Trekkies, while not leaving non-die hards feeling like they're missing out of something.

I would say the worst examples of referencing would be Enterprise. Although some were subtle and well done (fleeing humans settling on Ceti Alpha V, for example), others were very, very bad - in "Dear Doctor", Archer's incredibly awkward Prime Directive speech:

ARCHER: Someday my people are going to come up with some sort of a doctrine, something that tells us what we can and can't do out here, should and shouldn't do. But until somebody tells me that they've drafted that directive I'm going to have to remind myself every day that we didn't come out here to play God.

...it treated viewers like complete idiots who needed their hands held and to be told, "Look! He's talking about the Prime Directive!"

Another cringe-worthy example was "The Augments", where Arik Soong jumps up and down waving a big sign marked "TNG REFERENCE HERE! HE'S TALKING ABOUT DATA!"

SOONG: I've been thinking. Perfecting humanity may not be possible. Cybernetics. Artificial lifeforms.

ARCHER: Good-bye, Doctor.

SOONG: I doubt I'll finish the work myself. Might take a generation or two.