View Single Post
Old October 7 2013, 03:06 AM   #523
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen In 2013

70. Rush (A-)

One movie a night this weekend (counting Friday), and all of them top calibre. The film is a rather unusual effort from Ron Howard and Peter Morgan, whose previous collaboration (and previous independent works) wouldn't have suggested they'd be interested in this kind of subject-matter or film style (the film is very casually R-rated, and could probably have been made PG-13 without losing anything essential, so it's especially impressive that they didn't go that route; f-bombs and casual nudity for all!). I (like most North Americans, I suspect) don't know much about Formula One racing, and I'd largely avoided reading up on the history here, so I genuinely didn't know how things were going to end, which made for an interesting viewing experience. Chris Hemsworth and Daniel Bruhl are both excellent in the lead roles. There's a variety of supporting characters, including Alexandra Maria Lara (Traudl Jung in Downfall and Olivia Wilde, but they don't have much to do (one of the various women in Hemsworth's life is played by Natalie Dormer, who shows up entirely in the first ten minutes, and then vanishes; either she's just working her way through the Avengers, or was a fan of the subject-matter, because I'd have thought this was a little small a part for her otherwise).

Cinema: 28 (+1)
Home Video: 38
Computer: 4

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote