View Single Post
Old October 6 2013, 12:17 AM   #387
SeerSGB
Admiral

Re: My Greivences of Nutrek. What makes me a hater...

UFO wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
grendelsbayne wrote: View Post
If the plan was detailed ahead of time, how could they know for sure it would be Kirk going after Khan and not someone else, considering that was a clear result of Pike's death - an unpredictable event? How could they even be sure that Kirk would actually survive the attack on the briefing room?
It's impossible for Marcus' plan not to have been set in motion before Nero showed up. How could he possibly have built Vengeance, in secret, in less than a year? And he clearly tells us he wanted Kirk in that seat, he helped Pike advocate for Kirk Captaining the Enterprise.
It would be interesting to see some quotes of this advocacy. I don't believe Pike supported Kirk becoming captain in either film, but I only saw STiD once. It would reduce my opinion of him if he did. Not that I believe he or Marcus should have been able to achieve that end, even if they had been irresponsible enough to have tried. Similarly didn't Marcus only get Kirk back into the captain's seat?
Pike said he gave Kirk the Enterprise and Marcus said Pike defended Kirk. So yeah, Pike was the guy that got Kirk the command.