View Single Post
Old October 5 2013, 11:47 PM   #97
SeerSGB
Admiral

Re: NuTrek references in the novels

Christopher wrote: View Post
Nothing I said was the least bit sarcastic. It was a simple assertion of fact. And I'm not saying you have to like any given incarnation of the franchise -- just that continuity differences are not, in and of themselves, a reason to reject it. A story can have continuity errors yet still be well-liked. The Wrath of Khan has enormous continuity problems vis-a-vis "Space Seed" and the rest of TOS, but fans overlook those because they like it. On the other hand, an awful episode like "And the Children Shall Lead" or "Shades of Gray" doesn't have any major continuity problems and is generally accepted as part of the overall Trek universe, but is still justifiably disliked. So the question of whether one likes something and the question of whether it's part of the overall continuity are separate issues. That's all I'm saying.
At the end of the day, well written is well written. A story that is solid and entertaining can withstand an in-joke or quickie reference here or there.

I don't care what "universe" a book is set in, so long as I have fun reading it and it keeps my interest. Canon and continuity issues are of zero problem with me.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote