Thread: Starfleeters?
View Single Post
Old October 5 2013, 07:18 PM   #51
J.T.B.
Commodore

Re: Starfleeters?

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
I just don't follow this this idea of Starfleet being set up "the same" as a civilian police force when one has categories of commissioned officers and petty officers and enlisted men, and the other does not.
You're too caught up on that idea.

It's simply a case that the term "police officer" is commonly used to describe anyone regardless of their rank and it seems to be the same case with "Starfleet officer."
Again, it's not a good example because the two cases are not directly comparable. Civilian police forces do not have officer and non-officer categories. Starfleet officers regularly start their careers as an ensign. A police officer does not start out as a lieutenant.

Given how much the term is used, it actually does seem to do so. It doesn't preclude getting into specifics (commissioned, noncommissioned, enlisted), but it does seem to be the more commonly used phrase to describe all Starfleet personnel.
Are there examples of Starfleet enlisted personnel, other than O'Brien, being referred to as officers? There may be, I just don't know of any. But it still doesn't explain "The Drumhead."

It's even fitting if we think of Starfleet as being its own thing from another time and not a 100% exact extension of today's U.S. Navy.
I never assume it is.

T'Girl wrote: View Post
So merely having collar pips does not automatically mean that the person is a officer, O'Brien while wearing two pips is clearly a non-commissioned officer.
So the same pips mean lieutenant as well as chief petty officer? It doesn't seem likely, if the insignia are to be of any use.
J.T.B. is online now   Reply With Quote