Thread: Starfleeters?
View Single Post
Old October 5 2013, 05:38 PM   #49
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: Starfleeters?

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Which doesn't really matter if the term "officer" is the common term for all their personnel, no matter the rank. Which was the point I was making.
I just don't follow this this idea of Starfleet being set up "the same" as a civilian police force when one has categories of commissioned officers and petty officers and enlisted men, and the other does not.
You're too caught up on that idea.

It's simply a case that the term "police officer" is commonly used to describe anyone regardless of their rank and it seems to be the same case with "Starfleet officer."
As for everyone in Starfleet being called "Starfleet officers" collectively, maybe so, but I would be more convinced if there were examples of it being used for enlisted personnel other than O'Brien, whose history as an "officer" is muddled at best.

Picard's line in "The Drumhead" stringly suggests that the term "officer" does not cover everyone serving in Starfleet.
Given how much the term is used, it actually does seem to do so. It doesn't preclude getting into specifics (commissioned, noncommissioned, enlisted), but it does seem to be the more commonly used phrase to describe all Starfleet personnel. It's even fitting if we think of Starfleet as being its own thing from another time and not a 100% exact extension of today's U.S. Navy.