View Single Post
Old October 4 2013, 05:37 AM   #13
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: Gravity - Review and Discussion Thread

Grade: A

- It wasn't the most tense movie I've ever seen but it was pretty gripping (no pun intended) and above all, it was visually stunning. It was nice to see an entire movie with the characters right there in space and in zero gravity.

- Sandra Bullock was damn sexy. And I'm not just talking about the tank top and spandex shorts. She carried herself well as a consummate scientist and astronaut in extremis and carried the movie itself just as well as an almost one-woman show. And just the wonder of seeing her in space... Floating with no suit on... A human out of their element. You have to see the movie to appreciate what I'm talking about.

- Bad science? I'm not equipped to talk about that, but one thing did get my attention... I don't think that a fire extinguisher is strong enough to serve as thrust for a person flying through space.

- It seemed a little too convenient that the shuttle and the various space stations were close to each other and therefore easy to reach, but I guess that was necessary for the plot.

- I was wondering in which order the actors' names would appear in the billing since Clooney is a big star but Bullock was the main character. Then I saw what compromise they made. I'm seeing what they did more and more these days when the big star isn't really the lead character.

There's more I'd love to talk about but I don't want to spoil too much. Spoilerish tease ahead... All I'll say is that there's a scene where a hatch is opened when Bullock's character doesn't have her helmet on and that was something.

chrisspringob wrote: View Post
I don't think this thread belongs in SF/F though, since this movie isn't really SF/F.
I see your point, but at the same time, it does feel like the very definition of science fiction.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote