View Single Post
Old October 3 2013, 09:35 PM   #19
DavidGutierrez
Lieutenant

Re: Starfleeters?

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
J.T.B. wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
But the set up (which is my point) is the same way, including having different insignia--and in some department, different duty uniforms as well--for those with the rank of lieutenant and up. They're all referred to as police officers regardless if they are a corporal or a colonel.
But the set up is not the same.
Actually, it is. It doesn't have to be literally termed as commissioned and noncommissioned, but there is indeed a distinction between those who do "grunt work" and those with administrative duties. And as with police departments, it could be easily be a case that all Starfleet personnel could be referred to commonly as officers regardless of their actual rank or duties.
While I understand your logic, I don't agree with your analogy. Starfleet - while not an exact duplicate of the US Navy - is much closer to being a military force than a police force. Thus, we should seek analogies which display greater similarities.

In the spirit of the above paragraph, it seems like referring to Starfleet-folk as "explorers" would probably fit well.