View Single Post
Old October 3 2013, 09:23 PM   #302
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Re: Scaling the Excelsior Filming Model

Correct - that was related to the new Excelsior size. Mostly, it was maintaining the official size ratio between the Excelsior and Enterprise.

It started as an exercise - "If the Excelsior is really this big, how would the Enterprise look next to it if I blew it up to match?" So I made the Enterprise 2/3 the length of the Excelsior, and adjusted a wee bit to make the saucer edge decks work. The TOS Enterprise and Miranda scaling were both derived from this, but the Oberth was not. The Oberth was simply based on the wrecked Vico model from TNG.

Just realized I forgot to reply to KingDaniel yesterday...

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
The Reliant's saucer rim windows have always looked wrong to me. As if the modeller put one row in the centre of the rim, realized his mistake and crammed another row just underneath to better resemble the Enterprise's two-deck arrangement - only if there were two decks, the upper row would be ankle-high and the lower would be overhead.

The solution, of course, is a three or four-deck saucer rim
Yeah - generally agreed about those little window clusters. That's partly why I am rather happy that the study I did put a half-deck above and a half-deck below. Room for various sundry utilities and whatnot, plus it makes those windows a bit less crummy.

I have yet to try to actually see how the big ships line up vis a vis the windows on the models. I know how the Excelsior's windows do, of course, since that was my jumping off point. Perhaps I'll look into that this evening.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote