View Single Post
Old October 3 2013, 07:12 PM   #162
farmkid
Commodore

Re: Technological Stagnation

Tiberius wrote: View Post
Hollywood Werewolf wrote: View Post
All this discussion of self-driving cars is a colossal geek-wank. Because IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

We're talking two different transportation paradigms here. There's public transit, which can certainly be made faster, more efficient, and more flexible. And then there's private transportation, i.e., the personal automobile -- the entire POINT of which is that you, the driver, control the vehicle and make the decisions. People will never willingly surrender control of their cars to automation -- because then they won't be cars anymore.

BTW, on my recent poll thread, a majority said they enjoy driving for its own sake. As do I.
You couldn't be more wrong. The primary reason people use their own cars instead of public transportation is the convenience. You aren't waiting for a bus or depending on a timetable, and you don't have to worry about having a long walk at the other end. A person driving a car gets to go straight to their destination whenever they want. You can't do this with public transport. That is why people have their own cars, and it can easily be done with self driving cars.

And no one is suggesting that future self driving cars will completely lack the ability to be manually driven by a person. There are plenty of cases where this might be required. You'll still be able to drive for fun.
I have to agree. Most people I know would rather take a bus to get to work, for example, but don't because it would require significant walking, more time, and restrictions on when you can travel. In my case, for example, if I take the bus, I have to walk 1.5 miles to the bus stop (in temperatures ranging from -20 to 100), then ride two buses for nearly an hour. On top of that, I have to hope I don't miss it, because it only runs once per hour. Or, I can drive and go whenever I want and get there in 15 minutes. Hmm, tough choice.