Old October 3 2013, 01:42 AM   #48
SeerSGB
Admiral

Re: NuTrek references in the novels

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post
Perhaps we should put stickers on the books:

"Warning: Part of the same franchise that also produced the most recent movies. May contain trace amounts of NuTrek. People severely allergic to reboots should be aware of the possibility of cross-universe contamination. Proceed at your own risk."

Seriously, NuTrek isn't plutonium. Trace amounts never killed anybody.
Yeah, I could live with a warning like that. .
Umm, I was being sarcastic . . .

There's no such thing as "real Trek." Just old Trek and new Trek.
There is only Trek. The Trek is all. It surrounds us, binds us together, Trekkies are we not this crude genre splitting.

Christopher wrote: View Post
"Real Trek." It's all made up, you know.
BLASPHEMER! Not of the body! Lawgiver! Lawgiver!

Timewalker wrote: View Post
Perhaps we should put stickers on the books:

"Warning: Part of the same franchise that also produced the most recent movies. May contain trace amounts of NuTrek. People severely allergic to reboots should be aware of the possibility of cross-universe contamination. Proceed at your own risk."

Seriously, NuTrek isn't plutonium. Trace amounts never killed anybody.
Yeah, I could live with a warning like that. As for "trace amounts" of crossover or "reimagined" stuff... I feel the same way when I see nuDune nonsense inserted into a story that claims to be Dune.

Write all the nuTrek books you want. Just don't try to pass them off as real Trek, and keep cross-contamination out of it. The nuTrek fans will be happy with the book and the people who loathe nuTrek can safely ignore it. After all, it doesn't help when a reader sees some mention of a nuTrek detail of a character's life in a TOS book and mutters, "WTF!!! This author doesn't know what he/she's talking about!" when it doesn't match real Trek details.
I have to ask, are you serious? If a book tells a good story and written well, wouldn't that concern override bits of minutia such as "what movie in the franchise" it's based on?