View Single Post
Old October 2 2013, 03:39 AM   #16
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Re: My name is.....SORAN!

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I don't think it would have worked, but it would have explained why Harrison actually seemed to care about his 'crew'. The Khan I am familiar with cares nothing about anyone but himself (Well, maybe Joachim. But that's it. ) That's one of the things I didn't "get" about the film - it actually made Khan care about people. His appearance in TOS made it clear that Khan cares nothing for anyone other than Khan. (Don't believe me? Look how he treated Marla McGivers.) Soran, for his part, would not have had this problem. But Khan would, since he was an Augment, and it's pretty much built-in that Augments have no compassion.
Well, it was said in "Space Seed" that the augments had superior ambitions, but I don't remember anything about them not being capable of compassion. It's been a while since I've seen "Space Seed", but I remember Khan being quite genuinely happy to see his people unfrozen, again.
I would also guess that in his time on Ceti Alpha VI, he did all he could to struggle to keep his people alive, including his wife, Marla, which probably only increased his bitterness towards others outside his group and increased the deepness of the feelings of unity all the survivors on the planet had for each other.

This following is the change to his name I'd have made.
"John Harrison was a fiction created the moment I was taken by your Admiral Marcus to help him advance his cause, a smokescreen to conceal my true identity. Some call me, Tim."

Edited to add: Julian Bashir was an augment (though of another era), and he was full of compassion.

Last edited by Franklin; October 2 2013 at 03:57 AM.
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote