Old September 30 2013, 10:07 PM   #30
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: Kirk To Gatt-"Where's The Hull Damage?" Gatt-"Major Hull Damage Ca

22 Stars wrote: View Post
doubleohfive wrote: View Post
22 Stars wrote: View Post
Don't question the fallibility of the writers or they might just curse you out on the internet After all 'they' get to write the movies for a reason, we don't!
I like you man, but that's not a fair assessment of what happened at all.
Lol I know, but it still irks me I just can't believe that a professional would say that, even if provoked. 'They' get to write movies because of a lot of factors, luck being a big one. And while their films have grossed a ton of money, I see the same maturity in their dialog that I do in the sentiment expressed in his comments.
Respectfully, what about the maturity expressed by fans?

Better question: What about the insane and egregious amount of hate the movie has gotten from these so-called "mature" fans?

I'm going to go ahead and respectfully disagree with you. Orci had every right to react the way he did given how those idiots on Twitter were treating him, and he even had the balls to apologize almost immediately afterward.

Conflating the scenario as "He gets to make movies because of a lot of factors including luck" is the easy way out. The fact is, he's a Hollywood screenwriter and we're not. We don't know what that job entails or what pressures and requirements he had to deal with to write the thing. To me, it's as easy as that.

I guess what I'm saying is there's constructive criticism like we all learned about in college and then there's internet vitriol. Had the criticisms against Orci been the former and he still reacted the way he did, I'd agree with you. But let's be honest here. What he was replying to was anything but constructing and entirely vitriolic by those "fans."

Better stated: If they can dish it out, they better be ready to take it. Being a Hollywood professional doesn't mean Orci's also a saint. Nor does being a fan necessarily equate to being suddenly impervious to being called out for their bad behavior.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote