View Single Post
Old September 30 2013, 09:33 PM   #497
Christopher
Writer

Re: IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
Sorry, I meant insulting to disabled workers generally. I just found its approach to be blinkered and simplistic. In modern times employers are under an obligation to make reasonable alterations to the workplace to accommodate disabled employees. Many disabled workers are denied unlawfully jobs because employers don't want to make those accommodations.
Like I said, it reflects badly on Starfleet, but not so much on Keenser.

It's a bit frustrating that Keenser's height was deemed to be worthy as a focus as to why he struggled to do his job when actually, after 6 months, his employer was under a duty to ensure that his workplace was adapted. Or give him a portable anti-grav step.
I find the timing rather ambiguous. I've heard -- and followed -- the suggestion that the story takes place before the end of the 2009 movie, while the ship is being repaired prior to the final scene.

It just speaks to a level of ignorance in the writing; it's the kind of thing that frustrates disabled people that I know.
That's a fair point. It does annoy me that Starfleet ships are designed in such a human-centric way (and typically-proportioned human at that) rather than accommodating the range of diverse body types that aliens would have.

I'm sure there are many plausible reasons that able-bodied people might like to come up with to justify Scotty's lax approach to his colleague's needs but the story should have been, 'Keenser is a great engineer' with a focus on his personality instead of 'little people are a bit crap but they can be really useful sometimes'.
I didn't get that sense from the story at all. I felt it was sympathetic to Keenser's frustrations being a small person in a world that wasn't designed with his needs in mind, while making it quite clear that he was just as worthy of respect as anyone else.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote