View Single Post
Old September 30 2013, 07:58 PM   #3
The Stig
Rear Admiral

Re: Just Completed NuBattelstar Re-Watch

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
I've just completed my second complete re-watch of Ron Moore's re-imagined Battlestar Galactica - mainlined the entire series in just over three weeks. I included all the extended episodes, webisodes and the specials - Razor and The Plan.

I'm sad to say my initial appreciation and enthusiam for the show has been greatly reduced from my first viewing, which was over an extended period.

There is still much I liked, the quality of the acting being foremost - truly excellent throughout. Also, the CG FX and production design are still quite convincing, and have largely held up pretty well for the most part. Bear McCreary's scoring is EXCEPTIONAL.

However, there are a number of issues I now have with the show, which didn't seem to register or wrankle so much first time round.

Firstly, to me, the entire run often comes across as an extended advertisement for religion/Christianity - and is about as subtle as the proverbial sledgehammer on many occasions. Personally, I just don't find this sort of thing particularly appealing in Science Fiction.
It takes an extremely shallow viewing to make that assumption. By the end of the series, the 'God' was shown to be more akin to an advanced form of life, performing a millennia-long experiment on human/Cylon life.

My other major peeve is the thoroughly dislikable nature of nearly all the main characters. To me, most of them come across as bi-polar psychopaths - regularly flipping between lofty morals and, well, pretty ugly and reprehensible immorality - at the flick of a switch.
So, they behaved as people. The characters on BSG were the strongest element of the series.

The show is relentlessly depressing, disheartening and dismal - rarely did I end an episode with anything approaching an uplifting/upbeat feeling. I believe Ron Moore's basic premise for nuBSG was "dark and gritty" with no "forehead aliens" or space anomalies etc.
The show was inherently optimistic. It showed a group of people who were tested and found the strength not to break. BSG was about maintaining optimism in the face of unspeakable and unrelenting horror.

But, you know what, I love my aliens and anomalies, I love my optimism and yes, I love my idealised "enlightened" Federation or whatever. Going back to Trek after this mini marathon felt absolutely fantastic, like coming up for air from all the perpetual gloom!
Then BSG was, most assuredly, not for you.

Finally, the show's big culmination, I may have gotten this completely wrong, but essentially, "god did it" is my understanding - oh, and post crash Kara was a guiding angel? A massively disappointing conclusion to the show for me.
The ending was foreshadowed as early as the miniseries and was completely in keeping with the mythology of the show. From the start, there was a third party manipulating characters and events and the finale lifted the curtain to show us who that third party was.

As for Starbuck, she may have been the most compelling person on the show. Of all the changes that RDM made to the BSG formula when he remade the series, she was the best decision he ever made.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.