View Single Post
Old September 30 2013, 06:07 AM   #26
Kommander
Commodore

Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

IndyJones wrote: View Post
Kommander wrote: View Post
If medicaid is expanded in my state, I qualify for that. If not, the silver plan is nearly 80% of my income, and the bronze plan is 60%.

So, essentially, I'd have to give up the majority of my income for health insurance I wouldn't be able to use because the hand full of pennies I'm left with isn't enough for the copays?
That absolutely can't be true.

If you're making little enough that you could qualify for Medicaid, then there's a good chance that you'll qualify for a subsidy to help with the premium.

Why not try putting your info in the subsidy calculator and see what comes up?

Link

When I type in the info for a 30 year old non-smoker living in Detroit on $25,000, it says the bronze plan premium works out to $1,130 a year. But that same person is eligible for a subsidy of more than $650. Your numbers might be slightly different, but, if you're making any money at all how can the bronze plan premium be 60% of your income?
Yeah, I did the thing in the link. It said: "You will not be eligible for subsidies in the exchanges because your income is below 100% of the federal poverty level." My gross taxable income for this year is about $3,000. The rest of my income is a Pell grant and student loans, and don't count. Being a college student under 40, I'm not eligible for certain programs that would otherwise be open to those at my income level.

Although, the college student thing isn't factored into that website... How the fuck am I too poor for subsidies?

Deciding to live off student loans was a calculated risk. Yeah, there's some bullshit when it comes to things like health insurance, but overall I feel it's the best option for me. Every job I've had insists that I put that job first. My last one, the manager that was there when I started understood that college was more important than a barely above minimum wage hotel maintenance job. He even let me create my own schedule and adjust it at will if I gave at least 24 hours notice. Then, that manager got fired, the new manager cut my hours significantly (30 hours a week down to ten) and told me I could have them back if I quit school. Yeah, like I'm going to give up my future for a shitty $8-an-hour part-time job. With my current plan I'll eventually have a Ph. D., be about $50,000 in debt, and not have to deal with job/school conflicts. Hell, I'd rather have five or six times that amount of debt and a Ph. D. than making $10 an hour the rest of my life. There are negative consequences, and I'm willing to accept them, but accepting a consequence and accepting consequences with a smile on my face are two different things.