View Single Post
Old September 30 2013, 03:26 AM   #606
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: New Book about TOS: These Are The Voyages

Maurice wrote: View Post
I don't know that I agree. The same critiques are applicable to a lot of self-published books. I recently purchased an 800 page book about the history of Atari and you could copy and paste just about every criticism Harvey raised for TATV to that book as well: too long, spread out needlessly across three big volumes, no index, poorly written, poorly edited, nominally proofread, and, worst of all, rumor and supposition passed off as fact.

That's what's so disappointing about books that purport to be THE history yet wherein the authors can't be bothered to apply critical thinking to the work. If I need to fact check the book that is supposedly the facts, there's a problem.
Yeah, but the fact it's self-published is why I kinda do give it a bit more leeway. He obviously didn't have the time, money, or resources to make this as perfect and flawless a work as something you'd see from a big publisher.

Frankly given the mountain of data and material he had to organize and make sense of, I'm amazed he was able to make the book as interesting and readable as he was.

I'm not exactly planning to write a Trek history book of my own, so if it's not 100% accurate, so be it. It's still an incredibly interesting insight into the making of a TV show, and the process of shaping a script into the episode we see on screen.