View Single Post
Old September 30 2013, 02:39 AM   #19
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

I'm really looking forward to it.

I work in healthcare, but don't have coverage provided by my employer. With a preexisting condition I have been totally unable to get coverage for the past 4 years. And though I'm able to afford my regular care out of pocket, the thought of how I would be able to afford something catastrophic as I get older has been quite frightening.

Our governor released some of our rates last week and we learned that our rates are below the national average and probably even cheaper here in Chicago than in the rest of the state (probably the first time that's ever been the case ). Though I won't be eligible for any of the subsidies, it looks like I'll be able to purchase a gold plan for around $225 a month. I can afford that, but the peace of mind it'll provide really will be priceless for me.

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Peach, is it $100 more than you pay know even after taking into account the subsidy?
Peach is a *very* special circumstance, but I'll let her describe that if she chooses. Suffice it to say, there's a very real chance that she could end up paying significantly less under the Affordable Care Act than she currently is.

Kommander wrote: View Post
If medicaid is expanded in my state, I qualify for that. If not, the silver plan is nearly 80% of my income, and the bronze plan is 60%.

So, essentially, I'd have to give up the majority of my income for health insurance I wouldn't be able to use because the hand full of pennies I'm left with isn't enough for the copays?
That absolutely can't be true.

If you're making little enough that you could qualify for Medicaid, then there's a good chance that you'll qualify for a subsidy to help with the premium.

Why not try putting your info in the subsidy calculator and see what comes up?

Link

When I type in the info for a 30 year old non-smoker living in Detroit on $25,000, it says the bronze plan premium works out to $1,130 a year. But that same person is eligible for a subsidy of more than $650. Your numbers might be slightly different, but, if you're making any money at all how can the bronze plan premium be 60% of your income?
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.

Last edited by IndyJones; September 30 2013 at 03:13 AM.