Bob The Skutter
Complete Arse Cleft

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: Why the lack of Classic characters?

Starkers wrote: View Post
Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
Noddy wrote: View Post
Doesn't sound very promising.
Sounds like everything that basically everyone has deduced for some time now: That the BBC doesn't care almost at all about the show or its immense popularity. Its baffling, really - like the late Jon Pertwee would have said, this would not have happened in America.
I really do wonder what people were expecting? We have a special episode, a movie length story of the shows beginnings, plus a whole heap of other programming. Fan expectation's been silly for years though. With my favourite notion being that we'd get a whole series of episodes each of which would feature a classic Doctor, or that we'd get a McGann TV movie, or maybe a whole McGann series

The BBC are celebrating the 50th. Could they have done more, clearly, could they have done a lot less, sure as hell.

Can anyone give me an example of another franchise that's gotten as much air time as some fans were expecting Who to get? For Trek's 30th we got 2 regular length episodes of the series that were airing at the time celebrating TOS, and only one of them was any good. It was Bond's 50th last year and we just got a Bond film, we didn't get two!

As for suggesting The Day of the Doctor will be crap because of budget...plenty of great films and episodes of TV shows that were made on the cheap, have been fantastic. It's the story that makes it, not the effects, not whether Paul McGann turns up and regenerates into Eccleston live on screen.

The Day of the Doctor may be great, it may be shite, but I for one won't make that determination until I see it.
The people to blame for the high expectations are Moffat and the BBC themselves. Fan boy expect ions are always going to be unreasonably high for anything but then you add in the plain silly comments like there'll be more Who than ever.' and 'there's much more than we've revealed and even it'll be on par with the olympics' and it's long, very long, definitely feature length.' you have the perfect storm of already high expect ions and comments that are designed to raise them higher.

Now they may be designed for general audience soundbites but Moffat is a fan boy himself, he knows the reaction people will have to nonsense like that. Do you can't help but feel it is deliberate trolling for silly fanboy' reactions.