View Single Post
Old September 29 2013, 02:00 AM   #137
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: Moffat Talks 13th, sorry, 12th Doctor

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
I remember Russell [T Davies] told me that he had a big old plan as to why there were two Peter Capaldi’s in the Who universe: one in Pompeii and one in Torchwood.
Wouldn't that just be the time/space duplicity thing that explains why Gwen Cooper so similar to Gwyneth from The Unquiet Dead?
Was the connection between Gwen and Gwyneth ever explained on screen? Or was that something that the viewers knew because RTD had talked about it from time to time?
It was on screen. Journey's End, in the scene where everyone's in the console room getting ready to tow Earth back to the solar system. The Doctor contacts the Torchwood Hub, Gwen answers, appearing on the console's monitor screen and the Doctor and Rose recognize her with the Doctor explaining time/space duplicity.

Starkers wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Wouldn't that just be the time/space duplicity thing that explains why Gwen Cooper so similar to Gwyneth from The Unquiet Dead?
Was the connection between Gwen and Gwyneth ever explained on screen? Or was that something that the viewers knew because RTD had talked about it from time to time?

RTD may have had an explanation in mind for why Frobisher and Caecilius looked alike, but there was never a way of using that explanation within Children of Earth because 1) it wasn't relevant to the story and 2) it wouldn't have moved the story forward.

This sounds like Moffat wants to do something with the idea that these characters are connected. I can't think of anything more inward looking than explaining why the Doctor looks like a one-shot guest star from five years ago and a star of a spin-off series from four years ago.
Well Ten and Rose definitely comment on the fact that Gwen looks like Gwyneth, so this is another one of those things where it was ok for RTD to do it but not Moffat (That said I think it's a bad idea, and it was a bad idea before)
I accepted it when comparing Gwen and Gwyneth simply because it was a joke which they spent one minute on. That's a lot different than making it a plot point relevant to the season's arc, which is the implication I'm getting from the article about Capaldi's other two roles being relevant to the Twelfth Doctor's appearance.