View Single Post
Old September 29 2013, 12:42 AM   #99
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Re: State of Trek according to Entertainment Weekly

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Explain to me why showing a new technology based on a previously seen technology is wrong
If your new technology makes the basic premise of your whole setting and franchise -- adventuring in a starship -- completely redundant, it is probably a bad idea. (It doesn't help that it also completely breaks the internal consistency of depicting that technology in the timeframe one is supposedly "re-booting." But even that's a problem that pales in comparison.)

and why hiding a starship under an ocean is dumb.
Um, because a starship has all of space to hide in? Where it's designed to be and wouldn't be discernible as anything other than a bright dot from below? Whereas it is not designed to be under the ocean? And actually the Enterprise never ever landed in other films because it was not designed to ever land, and would break apart on entering an atmosphere? How many more do would you like?

(I know the point of the hiding-under-the-ocean thing was to have occasion for the conflict between Kirk and Spock that gets resolved in the final act. But there's a term for having to contrive stupid behaviour on the part of your characters to generate such conflict... it is called Bad Writing.)