View Single Post
Old September 28 2013, 07:41 PM   #284
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: Scaling the Excelsior Filming Model

Praetor wrote: View Post
Thanks, King. It's kind of that thread's fault I started reconsidering all this.

If I may ask, what have you changed your mind about since then?
The new Enterprise's size. Although I'm very suspicious of the shuttlebay and engineering fitting into that secondary hull, I'm 100% convinced that the (high detail) bridge window, airlocks, deck spacings and window rows all support a 725m size.
Praetor wrote: View Post
Did a bit of math and here's my results. Click to embiggen the image.

We begin with the 622 meter Excelsior, scaled from her window rows. Sized as-is in my file, she's 2363 px. I then scale the Enterprise refit to 2/3 Excelsior size to maintain the relative size difference first put forth at the official, smaller scale. At 1575 px, she's 415 meters long. I scaled the Miranda, TOS Enterprise to match, and for good measure throw in the four-deck saucer version of the Oberth.

Overall:
Excelsior: @ 622 meters/2363 px & 35 decks
Ent refit: @ 415 meters/1575 px & 33 decks
Miranda: @ 326 meters/1240 px & 19 decks (5 in rollbar pod)
Ent TOS: @ 408 meters/1552 px & 33 decks
Oberth: @ 260 meters/988 px & 17 decks

The classic era ships don't look bad at these sizes next to the Galaxy to me, while maintaining internal relative scaling fairly well and also making Galaxy to Excelsior and Galaxy to Oberth seem more like what we saw on TNG. It flies in the face of official convention, but that in and of itself doesn't bother me. What I wonder is, does the preponderance of evidence agree more with the above, or more with the official scaling?

Thoughts and opinions?
The Reliant's saucer rim windows have always looked wrong to me. As if the modeller put one row in the centre of the rim, realized his mistake and crammed another row just underneath to better resemble the Enterprise's two-deck arrangement - only if there were two decks, the upper row would be ankle-high and the lower would be overhead.

The solution, of course, is a three or four-deck saucer rim