View Single Post
Old September 28 2013, 05:22 AM   #83
Pavonis
Commodore

Re: The episode "Distant Origin"

Tiberius wrote: View Post
Woah, hold your rockets there, Captain Eager. Where did I ever say that the sarcophagus would last 50 million years intact?
Your previous question

Tiberius wrote: View Post
And what about the big ass concrete casket they have used to seal the thing off?
implied to me that you expected it to be intact. If you understood that it would be eroded to nothing, then why did you ask?

Yeah, Id guess that a small, extremely fragile eggshell that has had nothing done at all to protect it is much LESS likely to survive.
Not nothing, just incredible luck that it managed to be protected by the right circumstances. How many eggs do you figure were ever laid across the entire Mesozoic? Over the 187 million years of the Mesozoic, how many eggs existed? How many were preserved up to now? Do we have the same numbers of anything to match the long odds of lucky preservation?

But we've seen that a civilization that has advanced to the level where it can build rockets has also developed to the point where it can build sky scrapers.
One data point is not a trend, though.

Because you've been nothing but polite, have you?
Honestly, I was completely polite until #65. Your posting style indicated increased frustration and contempt for what I was writing. This field is my job and if you're not going to believe me, what can I do? I just don't have the time to devote to a thorough literature search on this subject for you, and even if I did, why should I do it? You're already acting like you know everything, and for all I know, you do know everything. I'm just a geophysics professor, so what would I know about this subject? Maybe you're Don Anderson in real life, which means I should be taking notes on this subject from you, but you don't even have the courtesy to share a little info in your profile. I can't tell if you flip burgers for a living, or if you're Stephen fucking Hawking.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote